Dec. 22, 2020
Nichia Corporation establishes the Tokushima International Science Institute
Aiming for research in advanced scientific fields, human resource development, and international and regional contributions
Nichia Corporation (“Nichia”), in collaboration with Tokushima University, will establish the Tokushima International Science Institute (a collaborative research center) on the university’s premises in January 2021. The institute’s aims are conducting research in advanced scientific fields, developing human resources as well as contributing to the international and regional communities, and will commence the following activities.
The Institute will conduct the following activities in a three-party collaboration of Technion – Israel Institute of Technology (“Technion”), Tokushima University, and Nichia with the consent of Technion, which Nichia has enjoyed ties with since 2016.
• Advanced scientific research with a focus on excellence, innovation and academic values
• Personnel exchanges such as research-based study abroad of researchers, postdoctoral staff, and students
Nichia will support the research activities, personnel exchanges, and operations of this institute.
It is also gratifying for the future of Israel and Japan, and for both universities, that an inter-university academic exchange agreement has been signed between Technion and Tokushima University prior to the establishment of the institute.
The synergy from these efforts is expected to contribute to further development of both areas and an increase in youth employment through vitalizing and upgrading academic research and turning out internationally competent personnel.
Overview of the research center
• Name: Tokushima International Science Institute
• Period: Phase 1 (Four years: January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2024)
• Organization: Director: Takuya Sasaki
(Executive Director for Research, Tokushima University)
Vice Director: Takashi Mukai
(Director and Executive General Manager of the Research & Development Division, Administration Business Unit , Nichia)
Advisor: Mordechai Segev
(Distinguished Professor, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology)
• Fields of study: All scientific research areas (science and engineering, medical, etc.)
• Themes: Up to five themes per phase from joint proposals from researchers of both universities
• Period of research: Two years per phase (Results are assessed and then continued study or adoption of new study is decided upon review for each phase)
• Budget: $100,000 per theme annually
• Office: To be located on the 2nd floor of Nichia-Kaikan, Tokushima University
Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
Technion is a research university representing Israel in the fields of science, technology, and engineering, and ranked among the best technical universities worldwide.
Technion is known for its innovation and entrepreneurship, fostering graduates and researchers who have made numerous groundbreaking inventions that have had an impact on the world. Technion is or has been home to four Nobel laureates: Aaron Ciechanover, Avram Hershko, Dan Shechtman, and Arieh Warshel.
Over many years, Technion has played a key role in positioning Israel as a “start-up nation.”
Public Relations, Nichia Corporation