At Nichia, market demands are promptly communicated through Nichia's organization's structure and then implemented by Nichia's own monotsukuri*.
Nichia is made of three business units: the Administration Business Unit covering everything from corporate planning to quality assurance, the Phosphors & Fine Chemicals Business Unit that develops the optical and energy related businesses, and the Optoelectronic Products Business Unit that promotes the opto-device business. These three business units work in collaboration with the production sites, R&D institutions, and sales offices in Japan and overseas.
Administration Business Unit
- Basic research on technologies and materials related to light and energy
- Plant Engineering
- Design and development of equipment made in-house
- Quality Assurance
- Inspection/analysis of the products, quality assurance/management, customer support
- IT Systems
- Internal IT system development and management, AI, IoT, big data, robotization
- Legal & Intellectual Property
- Intellectual property rights and contractual practices throughout the world
- General affairs, human resources, accounting, planning, strategic procurement, production management, environment and safety, etc.
Phosphors & Fine Chemicals Business Unit
- Development, technology, and manufacturing of cathode materials
- Development, evaluation, technology, manufacturing technology, and manufacturing of cathode materials for Lithium-ion batteries
- Development and manufacturing of functional chemicals
- Development and manufacturing of magnetic materials, phosphors, metal complexes, optical single crystals, etc.
- Strategic Sourcing
- Procurement of raw materials and consumables related to the Phosphors & Fine Chemicals Business Unit
- Domestic and overseas sales of products for the Phosphors & Fine Chemicals Business Unit
Optoelectronic Products Business Unit
- Development of LED/LD products
- Development, material development, manufacturing process development, and package development for LED/LD products
- LED/LD manufacturing and production technology
- LED/LD manufacturing, process design and improvement, production rationalization, quality stabilization
- Development of applied products
- Development of light source modules
- Domestic and overseas sales of products for the Optoelectronic Products Business Unit
- LED/LD Business planning, Advanced application development, Processing technology, Marketing
* The Japanese word describing creating, manufacturing, and developing activities that are not only focused on the simple process of manufacturing inside a factory but also include the creation, utilization, and combination of ideas, technologies, and expertise.